Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Some Days I Feel Like a Taxi


Guest blog on LubbockNeighbors.bing.com


Some days I feel like a taxi. And with my new van wrap, I kind of look like a taxi! You hear it called “soccer mom” syndrome, but we’re not in soccer. We are however in a learning program (4 days per week), music (1 day per week), speech (1 day per week), and Tega (1 day per week). Add in various doctor appointments, dentist appointments, our first ever orthodontist appointment, plus work and assundry other things and it just gets crazy! What I really need is two of me! I have a large dry erase calendar in my garage entry, I have a Google calendar which I can access on my phone, a calendar on the SeekingSitters site to track babysitters I have set up, and a date book at work, but it doesn’t seem to be enough to keep it all straight. I can’t figure out what kids are where, who is picking up whom, when I have sitters at the house, and how to keep from losing a kid! Today I printed off my Google calendar (which I love because you can color code your different activities – pink for home, blue for office, yellow for sitters), and then I used a highlighter to mark pickups (green for dad, pink for a grandma), and when a sitter is here, and then everything else is on me.


I have blogged about organization before and about the ups and downs of a big family, so I guess this blog is a little bit of both. I worry that we get going too much and I don’t really have time to just sit down with the kids. (Note to self: add to calendar game night, snuggle time, family swim.) But I also worry that just because it is hard to get to all these things, that my kids will miss out because I drop activities to make it more convenient. And what do you drop? Not the tutoring program that is helping my 1st grader immensely; not the piano that I value but my son might drop in a second or the music class that is the 3 year olds only activity; not speech. Already we opted out of any sports this summer but I need to fit swim lessons in there somewhere.
So many things change when you become a parent. You get such a different perspective. In my counseling practice, I used to talk to parents whose kids were having behavioral or emotional problems about needing to schedule one-on-one time with their child on a regular basis. Sounds good, right?! It is good! But that was before I had kids. Seems like it should be simple. Now, I still counsel that but with a more understanding air of how difficult that can be! Especially for a big family. My kids all need that special time. I need to find that time for them, but time is what is flying past us at mach speed. I am going to put that on the calendar though. Every other week, a special afternoon for just one kid and an extremely fun babysitter for the rest! It’ll be good for all of us.
My daughter said to me today, “You are always working.” This is sadly true. I’m home much of the week, but there is so much paperwork for my psychology job and phone calls for my babysitting business, and just general upkeep for the house. When I was a child, my mom said, “It is not my job to entertain you. Go play.” And I whole heartedly agree with this. I do not have to be my children’s playmate, but I don’t want to miss their childhood because I am BUSY. Busy can wait. You would think things would slow down in the summer, but they sure don’t!

Bucket lists have been a popular topic lately and I have things I would like to do for me and only me. And I encourage moms (and dads) to have that time to themselves. That is rejuvenating and makes you a better parent. I just got back from a long weekend in San Antonio with a dear friend, and I’m in a great bookclub with several close friends. And my husband and I try to have a date night once a week. But my bucket list for this summer is going to be about the kids. Things we need to do and time I need to set aside. They’re only little once!

Clay Café with Erin
Jumping Jungle with all kids
Zoo (Amarillo, Abilene, or Dallas) with all kids
Tea Party with Ryan
Science Spectrum with Evan
Shrek movie (3 big kids or by myself – I just want to see it!)
Game night
Slumber party for whole family
Playdates set up
Ranching Heritage Center
Botanical gardens
Swimming at least one day per week

What are your plans for the summer? I would love to add more great ideas to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment